In the Hot Seat
This edition’s ‘In The Hot Seat’ nominee is the first Airman to be awarded the SMART Award; the Station Commander’s Airman of the Month award.
Name: Carl Newton
Role: JNCO FGW Ops – Mover by Trade
Marital Status: Married with two children
1. What part of your job gives you the most satisfaction? When all the small jobs come together to complete the larger task.
2. And the least? My pay chit.
3. What is best advice you have ever received? Always listen to advice offered; you don’t have to take it.
4. Describe yourself in six words? Loud, brash, direct, witty, sarcastic and honest.
5. What career would you have followed if you had not pursued your current profession? Roofer or a role in youth football development.
6. Is there one piece of criticism that sticks in your mind? You’re not always right.
7. How would you change the MOD? Take the power away from the politicians and take specialist advice from the ‘coalface’.
8. What would be your first act as the world leader? Make the British government reduce the price of petrol and diesel.
9. Name your desert island essentials? Ray Mears with a good knife.
10. What food would you choose for your last supper? Fish fingers, mash & peas – covered in salad cream.
11. Who do you most admire in the world? Popeye – he is what he is.
12. Name four people you would like as a dinner guest – and why? Wayne Rooney, Ryan Giggs, Edwin Van Da Sar and John Terry – to discuss the penalty missed by John Terry at the 2008 Champions League Final in Moscow.
13. What one piece of music would you like played at your funeral? Everlasting by The Manic Street Preachers.
14. How would you like to be remembered? As the old bloke in the local pub (the one with the flat cap and sheep dog) who is full of worldly advice for any given situation.